Tuesday, February 22, 2011

1st Critique

Our first critique was over our paint chip project.
The project itself made me realize that color is a lot more complicated than I originally thought it was. I found myself rejecting certain shades of colors because they didn't really "feel" like the Bahamas to me. I think I made this project a lot harder than it had to be but I learned a lot in the process.
While I was shooting, I learned a lot of about lighting. I had to shoot the blue snow cone twice because I waited too late in the day and by the time I found a place to shoot it, the sun had already mostly set. So I have two sets of snow cone pictures. One with artificial light from a park and one that I took during the day. I compared the two in Lightroom and fell in love with natural lighting all over again. Although I don't think you really enjoyed my too literal "Bahama Blue" interpretation, the photo was worthwhile in the sense that I learned from having to reshoot the photo.
During critique I learned why you don't exactly enjoy photos of animals and children which was brought up because of my photo of a cat. I liked it because I shot it while there was golden light and the black cat contrasted with the background. But your comments made me think of how it lacked conceptually, it was still just a picture of a cat.
I think my other photos were more successful because they were not as literal of an interpretation of the paint chip names.
Overall though I was very happy with critiques :}

No comments:

Post a Comment